The TSA provides a number of excellent student leadership opportunities, including regional and state officer positions. Officers have the opportunity to gain valuable leadership experience, develop effective communication skills, and familiarize themselves with the workings of voluntary associations in the modern world.
In addition, many officer credit TSA with teaching them essential problem solving, critical thinking, time management, and team working skills. Did we mention that it’s a lot of fun?
“My leadership experiences in the Technology Student Association have certainly been the highlight of my education.” -Jason Dreyzehner, Past Virginia TSA President, National Officer
Officer teams participate in all kinds of team-building and networking events- from rock climbing to meet-and-greets, serving as a student leader in TSA can be the experience of a lifetime.
Virginia TSA Regional and State Officer are elected by majority vote of the voting delegates at their respective regional spring fair or state conference. Officers hold office from the close of the conference at which they are elected through the next conference’s conclusion.
Regional and State Officer Qualifications
- Only active members will be eligible for a state office (Seniors may not run for office.)
- The candidate must have served or is serving as a chapter officer.
- The candidate must have a 2.5 scholastic average based on a 4.0 being an “A”.
- A candidate may seek only one office. Each school may nominate only one person for each office.
- No individual may serve in the same state office for more than two consecutive years.
- All candidates should have the ability to express their ideas and to make decisions, and are required to attend all of the general sessions and the officer candidate orientation meeting.
- Officer candidates will be required to wear the official TSA attire during all meetings.
- All candidates should read carefully all sections of the Virginia TSA Constitution and Bylaws. The candidates must have an understanding of their duties and responsibilities.
- All candidates must receive the written consent of their parents, chapter advisor, school principal, and central office administration in order to run for office.
- Original officer candidate applications must be received by the Virginia TSA Office before the deadline set in the Calendar of Events. Faxes are not acceptable. Applications will be screened and candidates will be notified of their status after the deadline.
The updated applications for Virginia TSA state and regional office are made available online midway through the year preceding their candidacy terms.